Shifted calls itself a next-generation supplement company, and with its first pre-workout product, it shows us why.
A new kid on the pre-workout block, we spent a month with Shifted’s two pre-workout offerings and found that we were very impressed. Here’s a quick list of our impressions:
- Smooth, great tasting flavors
- The most effective, high quality, scientifically backed ingredients on the market
- Settles in the stomach well
- Does not cause any digestive issues
- Includes all the core preworkout ingredients for increased performance
- Gets the little details right (inclusion of electrolytes, b-vitamins, CoQ10, creatine)
- Beta-Alanine tingles are kept to a minimum
- Touches on all the core modalities you want in a pre-workout: focus, pump, mood enhancement, energy, endurance, calm
- Multiple pump inducing pathways including L-Citrulline and nitrates like beet root powder
- Beta-Alanine may be underdosed for maximal effectiveness (most studies are in the 3-5 range)
- Only two flavors (even though both are great)
The Difference Between Shifted Maximum & Premium
Shifted Maximum is the attempt to create the perfect pre-workout supplement based on the current science. Because of this, it comes in at a pretty high price point of $70 per bottle for over 18 ingredients and a whopping 30g per serving. It’s clearly built to make a statement in the industry and to attract those of us who are happy to spend on the very best health and fitness products.
Shifted Premium is still excellent at only 19.3g per serving, and while it’s missing a few of the ingredients in Maximum, some of us actually prefer the lighter doses (and these lighter doses can be perfect for smaller bodied women).
So what does Maximum have that Premium does not?
- Red Spinach Extract
- zumXR Delayed Release Caffeine
- ElevATP (Ancient Peat and Apple Fruit Extract)
- Co-Enzyme Q10 (CoQ10)
- 8g of L-Citrulline (2 more grams than Premium)
- 5g of Creatine Monohydrate (3g more than Premium)
- 3g of Taurine (2g more than Premium)
- 2.5g of Beta-Alanine (.5g more than Premium)
- 2g L-Tyrosine (1g more than Premium)
- 300mg of Alpha GPC (150mg more than Premium)
- 248mg of Potassium (207mg more than Premium)
- 2.5g of Betaine Anhydrous
- 1g of Beet Root Extract
- 250mg of Caffeine Anhydrous
- 100mg of Rhodiola Rosea
- 150mg of L-Theanine
- 100mg of Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
We spent one full month with Shifted Pre-Workout supplements before writing this review and perhaps the only thing you need to know is that now that we’ve tried Shifted, we have a hard time going back to our old favorites like Transparent Labs and Kaged.
Shifted is an experience. You get in the zone. You feel good. Your mood improves. You get that drive. And that focus. The feeling that you can conquer the world. And yet the feeling is super smooth and non-jittery (thanks to L-Theanine maybe?).
One thing we’ve noticed about Shifted is that they got the details right. The bottles are beautiful. The supplement powder mixes really well with very little residue. There is no clumping in the container (at least after a month of useage). It’s super easy to drink for a 30g (or 20g) product. Both flavors (berry and tropical) go down easy. Settles in the stomach well. Doesn’t cause the sh*ts.
From a performance perspective it’s all there. We noticed a distinct anti-fatigue effect, getting to that extra rep or two or three. Focus was through the roof. Pump was insane. Clarity and calmness of mind throughout. Even some moments of euphoria (whether this was Shifted or endorphins, we can not know.)
Throughout the past month strength and mass gains were clear and evident. And workouts felt easier and more pleasant.
Why We Love It:
Beyond the overall experience it’s the fact that Shifted hits all the functional modalities we care about in a pre-workout. Energy (caffeine). Focus and drive (tyrosine, theanine, choline as alpha gpc). Mood boosting (rhodiola rosea). Pump (citrulline and natural nitrate sources like beet root and red spinach). Endurance and anti-fatigue (beta alanine, ElevATP, taurine, CoQ10), strength and body composition (creatine monohydrate, betaine).
Our Biggest Criticism
The Maximum formula had to make a compromise on Beta-Alanine. It’s obvious that Shifted chose to throttle down on the tingles to focus on an overall positive experience rather than put the full maximally effective dose of 3-6g of Beta-Alanine. We can forgive this. Although it is a little disappointing because otherwise their Maximum product hits every other dosing out of the park for maximum scientific effectiveness. And if it wasn’t for this one defect, it would be the true all-in-one daily product for your workout performance needs (other than of course protein… which you can and should get from real food as much as possible!)
The Bottom Line:
Shifted’s two pre-workouts (Premium and Maximum) taste great, settle well and are chock full of functional ingredients with scientific backing. Its Maximum formula blows all other pre-workouts out of the water at this point in time (Fall 2021) and is basically an all-in-one nutritional supplement for active people who want to perform at their very best. The Maximum formula sets the industry standard for what’s possible in a preworkout supplement and we hope that it raises the bar in an industry that could use some innovation. The Premium pre-workout product from Shifted stands out as an exceptional entry-point for the price conscious, loaded with an amazing array of functional ingredients and a tropical flavor that may be the tastiest pre-workout flavor we’ve ever encountered.