Jacked Factory bills its pre-workout powder Nitrosurge as a “powerhouse” supplement that will boost fitness enthusiasts’ exercise performance.
How well does the product fulfill this promise?
Nitrosurge Pre-Workout Supplement—Key Takeaways
- Jacked Factory’s Nitrosurge line of pre-workout powders includes an effective original formulation and supplements that emphasize fat burning and muscle building.
- The formulation includes a blend of ingredients that produces powerful positive results and protects against some of the most common side effects reported with pre-workout powder usage.
- At a cost per dose that’s around 25% below the average cost per dose on the pre-workout supplement market, Nitrosurge is a great value for the results it offers.
Nitrosurge Pre-Workout Supplement Review Score:
Whether you think Nitrosurge Ranks as one of the best pre workouts on the market will depend on whether it scores high in the areas that matter most to you.
So let’s break down how we arrived at this score.
With a variety of flavors available, including several that regular users refer to as their “favorites,” Nitrosurge ranks as one of the better pre-workout supplements on the market in terms of taste.
Its below-average cost per dose makes Nitrosurge a good value for the quality of the product you receive. It’s not the cheapest option on the pre-workout supplement market, but its price point is reasonable even for budget-conscious consumers.
Strength of formula: 8/10
Although we wouldn’t mind seeing somewhat stronger dosages of essential pre-workout ingredients like caffeine, L-citrulline, and beta-alanine, Nitrosurge features a solid formulation that, users say, produces “powerful” results.
Quality of ingredients: 9/10
The high-quality ingredients found in the Nitrosurge pre-workout powders, like caffeine anhydrous and patented ingredients like AstraGin, are what make this supplement so effective. We also love that Jacked Factory’s full product line is produced in U.S.-based Current Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP)-certified facilities.
The vast majority of users who review the Nitrosurge Pre-Workout supplement report an experience that encompasses a powerful boost in energy and focus without the jitters and crashes that occur with so many supplements on the market.
What Are the Benefits of the Nitrosurge Pre-Workout Supplement?
Like virtually all pre-workout supplements, Nitrosurge aims to improve energy, focus, and endurance for better exercise performance. More specifically, though, manufacturer Jacked Factory markets the benefits of Nitrosurge as “explosive” energy, “laser-sharp” focus, and “powerful” pumps.
Does It Actually Work?
These are ambitious claims, if somewhat difficult to evaluate objectively. However, users overwhelmingly report that the results live up to their expectations.
Fans say that the product mixes easily with water to make taking it a breeze and that the results kick in quickly. Once it does kick in, users enjoy an intense pump with what they report are minimal side effects (compared to other pre-workout supplements).
Nitrosurge Pre-Workout Supplement Formulation
The effects of any pre-workout powder depend on the ingredients that make up its formulation. Not only do these distinct ingredients offer performance-boosting benefits individually, but they can also interact in synergistic ways so that the formula’s effects are greater than the sum of its parts.
What’s in a Pre-Workout Supplement?
The hundreds of distinct pre-workout supplements on the market make use of countless active ingredients, from stimulants to amino acids and even natural extracts of plant fruits and roots. Although some of these ingredients have been researched more thoroughly and extensively than others, each of these ingredients offers some potential benefits to users.
Our favorite pre-workout supplements most commonly include three ingredients:
- Caffeine, a central nervous system stimulant that boosts energy and alertness. Our preferred dosage of caffeine in a pre-workout powder is 200 to 400 mg.
- L-citrulline, an amino acid known as a nitric oxide “booster” for its ability to widen the blood vessels and resupply blood flow to the muscles. Ideally, we like to see between 6 and 8 g of pure L-citrulline (or a higher dose of citrulline malate, which is a blend of L-citrulline and malic acid).
- Beta-alanine, an amino acid that helps reduce feelings of fatigue and enhance your capacity for and performance of high-intensity exercise. We prefer to see 2 to 5 g of beta-alanine in a pre-workout supplement.
Other ingredients we favor in pre-workout powders include the amino acid creatine, which aids in muscle growth and the development of better body composition, and dietary extracts like beet root and red spinach leaf extract that produce nitric oxide to enhance blood flow.
Nitrosurge Pre-Workout Supplement Ingredients
The first thing to know is that Jacked Factory makes the original Nitrosurge Pre-Workout powder as well as two specialty formulations, SHRED and BUILD. We like this variety because it makes the Nitrosurge product line more inclusive of all fitness goals and needs.
The SHRED formulation is made for people focusing on burning fat, the BUILD formulation is ideal for anyone seeking to build muscle mass. The original Nitrosurge formulation is versatile enough for everyone in between.
The Formulation of the Original Nitrosurge Pre-Workout Supplement
In the regular formulation, you’ll find the following key ingredients:
- 180 mg of caffeine anhydrous, which refers to a concentrated form of dehydrated caffeine derived from coffee plant leaves and seeds
- 3 g of L-citrulline
- 1.6 g of Beta-alanine
- 90 mg of L-theanine, an amino acid that works synergistically with caffeine to enhance focus and cognition while warding off the jitters that can otherwise accompany stimulant use.
- 50 mg of theobromine, an alkaloid that acts as a mild cardiac (heart) stimulant and vasodilator—but isn’t a central nervous system stimulant and, as such, can give you the boost you need for a more intense workout without the side effects of a CNS stimulant.
- 1.25 g of Betaine anhydrous, a naturally occurring molecule intended to decrease fat mass and body fat percentage as well as boost power and strength.
- 25 mg of AstraGin, a patented form of a plant-based compound that combines Astragalus membranaceus root extract and Panax notoginseng root extract, which among other purposes, enhance the body’s absorption of nutrients.
All formulations of Jacked Factory’s Nitrosurge Pre-Workout supplements include the three main ingredients we’re looking for in a pre-workout powder. The caffeine dosage falls below the threshold we prefer to see, but not by much. We’d prefer to see twice as much L-citrulline
and about 20% more beta-alanine (at minimum). All told, though, the strength of this formulation is solid, especially considering the impact of the additional ingredients found in the product.
Ingredients in the Nitrosurge SHRED Pre-Workout Supplement
The Nitrosurge SHRED Pre-Workout supplement builds upon the effectiveness of the original Nitrosurge formulation but tweaks the formula to favor fat-burning results. The formulation of the Nitrosurge SHRED Thermogenic Pre-Workout supplement brings together the following ingredients:
- 180 mg of caffeine anhydrous
- 2 g of L-Citrulline
- 1.6 g Beta-Alanine
- 90 mg of L-Theanine
- 50 mg of Theobromine
- 1 g of Acetyl L-Carnitine HCL to help you burn more fat
- 2.5 mg of BioPerine, a branded form of black pepper fruit extract used to aid in the body’s absorption of nutrients and amplify the effects of the rest of the pre-workout powder formulation
If you compare the formulations side by side, you’ll notice a few differences. SHRED contains a smaller dosage of L-citrulline. It’s missing the betaine anhydrous and AstraGin of the original formulation but instead integrates Acetyl L-Carnitine HCL and BioPerine for results that more strongly emphasize fat-burning.
Nitrosurge BUILD Pre-Workout Formulation
Likewise, the BUILD version of Jacked Factory’s Nitrosurge Pre-Workout supplement builds on the basic formulation of the original supplement. This muscle-building formulation encompasses ingredients like the following:
- 180 mg of caffeine anhydrous
- 3 g of L-citrulline
- 1.6 g of beta-alanine
- 90 mg of L-theanine
- 1.25 g of betaine anhydrous
- 25 mg of AstraGin
- 1.0 g of Con-Cret Creatine HCl
- 75 mg of L-ElevATP, a patented blend of ancient peat and apple polyphenols that increases the adenosine triphosphate (ATP) molecules that fuel your body’s workouts as well as enhance your strength and aerobic performance
The theobromine is missing from this formulation, which instead features ingredients like patented Con-Cret Creatine HCl and L-ElevATP.
Even if a pre-workout supplement formulation sounds great in theory, contamination of supplements with banned substances and potentially dangerous chemicals is an ongoing problem. Knowing that Nitrosurge pre-workout supplements, along with all other Jacked Factory products, are U.S.-made and manufactured in Current Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP)-certified facilities offers peace of mind to anyone worried about the safety, quality, and potency of the supplements they ingest.
What Ingredients Are Missing From Nitrosurge Pre-Workout Supplement Ingredients?
The most notable omission in the formulation of the Nitrosurge Pre-Workout supplement, in our opinion, is creatine.
We generally like to see some creatine in the formulation of pre-workout powders, but only the (more expensive) BUILD formulation of Nitrosurge contains this beneficial ingredient. Jacked Factory claims that the lack of creatine in Nitrosurge is intentional because “not everyone enjoys taking creatine.”
Users can purchase creatine separately to “stack” on top of Nitrosurge, but it will cost them. An 85-serving canister of Creatine Monohydrate costs $39.99. While the $0.47 cost per dose is low compared to most pre-workout powders, having to stack that price on top of the cost per dose for Nitrosurge Pre-Workout increases the total cost per dose by almost 50%.
Although creatine monohydrate is our preference in a pre-workout routine, Jacked Factory claims that users aren’t really missing out due to its absence from Nitrosurge because the betaine anhydrous takes its place as a strength booster. It’s true that betaine anhydrous is known to increase strength and power, but it works differently from—and synergistically with—creatine.
We would rather see a formulation with both of these strength-boosting ingredients than this either-or scenario, but if the product has to be creatine-free, we’re glad Jacked Factory included something in the formulation to take creatine’s place.
Who’s It For?
With a caffeine dosage on the modest end of the spectrum and multiple formulations available on the Nitrosurge product line, this is a versatile pre-workout supplement.
Who Should Use Nitrosurge Pre-Workout Supplement?
Nitrosurge pre-workout supplements are suitable for any fitness enthusiast who can safely tolerate caffeine-based pre-workout powders. Manufacturer Jacked Factory specifically promotes the product as being effective for both men and women—and for anyone who wants to bring enhanced energy and focus to their workout routine.
The question isn’t whether you should consider using Nitrosurge but rather which Nitrosurge pre-workout formulation is right for you.
If you’re all about burning fat as quickly as possible—which is likely the case if your primary fitness goal is to lose weight—then Nitrosurge SHRED is your best option. The thermogenic effects of this targeted supplement actually raise your metabolic rate to burn more fat in less time.
Bodybuilders and anyone looking to bulk up in a healthy way should instead consider the Nitrosurge BUILD Pre-Workout powder. This formulation includes creatine to enhance both the size and strength of muscles.
If neither of these targeted areas of focus quite match your personal fitness needs, the regular Nitrosurge Pre-Workout powder is probably an excellent choice for you. The broad long-term goal of the original Nitrosurge formulation—developing “enhanced body composition over time”—encapsulates most fitness enthusiasts’ goals in some capacity.
Nitrosurge’s caffeine count is enough to give users a boost but not so high that most people who can tolerate caffeine will experience a lot of negative side effects. Ingredients like L-theanine further reduce the likelihood of experiencing the jitters.
Who Shouldn’t Use Nitrosurge Pre-Workout Supplement?
Generally, you shouldn’t use Nitrosurge (any formulation) if you have health issues that make a caffeine-based pre-workout supplement unsafe for your usage. You shouldn’t use this product (or any other caffeine-containing pre-workout supplement) if you are under age 18, if you are pregnant or nursing, or if you have any health condition or are taking any over-the-counter or prescription medication unless you have cleared it with your doctor first. Additionally, if you experience severe or long-lasting side effects from using Nitrosurge, you should stop using it and consult a doctor.
Even if you don’t have a personal history of health issues or any current medication usage, it’s always a good idea to discuss supplements with your physician prior to altering your routine.
Nitrosurge Pre-Workout Supplement Flavor Review: How Does It Taste?
Jacked Factory offers Nitrosurge in more than a dozen flavors, including:
- Arctic White
- Black Cherry
- Blue Raspberry
- Blueberry Lemonade
- Cherry Limeade
- Cotton Candy
- Fruit Punch
- Green Apple
- Sour Peach Rings
- Strawberry Margarita
According to customer reviews, the best flavor of Nitrosurge Pre-Workout appears to be Sour Peach Rings, which users say tastes like candy.
Cherry Limeade is another of the most popular flavors, and classic flavors like Watermelon, Grape, and Pineapple are well-liked, as well. The Cotton Candy flavor is controversial, but many users love it.
Nitrosurge pre-workout powder mixes well with water without developing a clumpy or gritty consistency that would make it unpleasant to drink. Although you drink a pre-workout supplement for the results, not the flavor, many users felt that the taste was good enough (as pre-workout powders go) to look forward to taking it.
Nitrosurge Pre-Workout Supplement Price and Buying Options
A 30-serving container of Nitrosurge pre-workout powder costs $29.99 when buying directly from the manufacturer Jacked Factory and $26.99 from Amazon. Amazon’s Subscribe & Save program offers discounts of up to 15%.
The Nitrosurge SHRED “thermogenic” pre-workout is the same price but a different formulation. The Nitrosurge BUILD pre-workout supplement is somewhat more expensive, at $34.99 for 30 servings through Jacked Factory or $27.99 through Amazon.
Unlike most manufacturers of the pre-workout supplements we have reviewed, there is currently no subscription option—or subscription discount—when buying from Jacked Factory. However, the company does offer its GAINS+ rewards program through which you can earn Shield Points to use toward products. In that way, Jacked Factory’s Nitrosurge is reminiscent of the GHOST Legend Pre-Workout supplement—although the number of points you must redeem for the Nitrosurge pre-workout powder is much lower, at 375 rather than 11,000.
The cost per dose for the Nitrosurge pre-workout supplement is around $1.00 when purchased directly from Jacked Factory. Amazon purchasers get the product at $0.90 per dose (not including any Subscribe & Save discounts) but miss out on the Gains+ rewards program. Users of the Nitrosurge BUILD Pre-Workout supplement will pay closer to $1.17 per dose through the manufacturer or $0.94 through Amazon.
Despite the lack of a subscription discount, Jacked Factory’s Nitrosurge is on the more affordable end of the pre-workout cost spectrum. You’ll save upwards of 20% over the $1.33 average cost per dose on the current pre-workout supplement market.
The price point (as measured by cost per dose) for Nitrosurge is more than competitors like Cellucor C4 Sport Pre-Workout and ProSupps Mr. HYDE Signature Pre Workout but less than several other competitors, including pre-workout powders by Alani Nu, REDCON1 TOTAL WAR, Bucked Up, Insane Labz Psychotic, and GHOST Legend.
*Prices listed above are accurate as of November 2022.
What Are the Side Effects of Nitrosurge Pre-Workout Supplement?
Pre-workout supplements are known to pose the risk of certain side effects, most of which are temporary and last for only a short time. Some of the side effects users have noted with Nitrosurge Pre-Workout include:
- Paresthesia, or skin tingling, which for some users can become itchy or uncomfortable
- Stomach issues
- Heart racing and palpitations
Although some users reported experiencing side effects while using Nitrosurge, many reviewers found that the side effects were much less compared to what they experienced with other pre-workout powders. In particular, user after user noted in their reviews of the product that Nitrosurge caused “no jitters” of the kind that so commonly accompany pre-workout powders made with caffeine.
Nitrosurge Pre-Workout Supplement Pros and Cons
- The high quality of the Nitrosurge Pre-Workout formulation includes the most important ingredients we look for and additional ingredients that complement these ingredients, put together in Current Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP)-certified facilities.
- A formulation that aims to minimize side effects allows users to enjoy the results of a great pre-workout powder with fewer risks of a negative experience.
- A versatile regular formulation and two distinct formulations that focus on different fitness goals make the Nitrosurge line suitable for a broad audience.
- The formulation—particularly the dosages of L-citrulline and beta-alanine—could be stronger.
- Creatine is missing from the regular and SHRED formulations, so users have to choose between missing out on the benefits this amino acid offers or paying for a separate supplement to add this ingredient to their routine.
- Although the maximum dose is two scoops, some users who took this high dose reported feeling concerning levels of side effects like racing hearts and tingling. Even if you are an experienced pre-workout user, it’s usually a good idea to start with a smaller dosage and, if needed, work your way up to a larger quantity.
The Nitrosurge Pre-Workout supplements by Jacked Factory have an excellent reputation and a huge fan base—for a good reason. At this price point, the supplement is worth trying for both new and experienced consumers of pre-workout powder.