Upgrading to a smart kitchen can increase the value of your home and provide a variety of conveniences to your favorite kitchen appliances.
Recent advances in smart technology provide the tools to make day-to-day life easier. According to a recent survey, 43% of American households own smart appliances or smart home devices. This survey shows proof that smart devices serve many benefits to homeowners, considering the percentage increase from 33% in 2019 to 43% in 2021.
Key Point: While some people have decided to switch to a smart household, others still have doubts about the benefits of doing so. In this article, we discuss the greatest benefits of upgrading to smart kitchen appliances.
- The Benefits of Upgrading to a Smart Kitchen
- The Most Popular Smart Kitchen Appliances
- Who Benefits Most from Upgrading to a Smart Kitchen
What is a Smart Kitchen?
A smart kitchen utilizes a smart appliance that requires technology to function, such as WiFi and Bluetooth. Check out our complete guide to smart homes to learn everything about smart home technology.
These internet-connected devices and appliances have more functional advantages than traditional ones due to:
- User-friendly features
- Environmental-friendly elements
- Stylish modern design that will increase the aesthetic appeal of your kitchen
But above all, a smart kitchen appliance can give you a unique experience. You can customize these appliance programs to your desire.
Most of these smart devices have remote controllers, but more expensive options will usually come in the form of voice-automated devices that allow you to control them by speaking to them.
There are also smart appliances with a mind of their own, meaning they can perform self-maintenance. These smart devices can be expensive, but the ROI, in the long run, is worth it.
Takeaway: Because smart kitchens are defined by emergent technologies, they elude any one definition. However, smart kitchens can be generally defined as the cutting-edge smart home technology designed to improve every aspect of the kitchen-going experience.
What are the Benefits of Upgrading to a Smart Kitchen?
Most smart appliances have unique features that allow you to input your daily routine, giving you more free time at home.
These smart devices or appliances revolutionized the way we prepare meals.
For example, you no longer have to wait in the kitchen for so long to preheat your oven. A smart oven preheats according to your schedule, and you’ll be ready to cook your meal when you arrive home.
Installing smart appliances gives homeowners the option to schedule the use of their appliances, allowing them to control how much energy to use during peak hours.
You will receive notifications to turn off appliances at specific peak times or to employ their power-saving modes, saving you money instead of paying for high energy use.
Enhance Energy Efficiency
Smart kitchen appliances are known to be more efficient than conventional ones.
For example, the thing most people forget about is the dishwasher. This is especially true if you’re doing other things, such as laundry or watching the kids.
Dishwashers equipped with smart functions are more functional and reliable than earlier models. These smart appliances have the best drying capacities by adding additional heating sources like vents and fans.
Additionally, they have the best water recycling reservoirs, which can save your water usage by 30%.
Identify and Address Problems Sooner
Smart kitchen appliances can notify users of possible uprising problems through mobile phones, often requiring only remote diagnostics.
Whether there is a fire on the stove or a broken water line in the dishwasher, smart appliances alert you as soon as a possible problem is detected.
If you learn about a problem as quickly as possible, you can avoid more issues that might arise if the issue is ignored.
A smart kitchen will give you peace of mind during your travels. To ensure nothing is operating in your kitchen while you’re away, you can use your smartphone to check on everything.
Precision cooking technology and guided recipes are frequently found in smart kitchen appliances, which help reduce food waste.
This could refer to cooking presets, which are a key component of smart kitchen goods and guarantee precise, consistent results.
Another useful element of the smart kitchen is guided cooking instructions, which link to smart kitchen appliances and lead home cooks through a step-by-step procedure from preparation to the dinner table. By following these precise instructions, you’ll waste less ingredients and better adhere to proper portion guidelines.
Takeaway: While the exact benefits of a smart kitchen will depend on the type of smart kitchen appliances you buy, in general you can expect an entirely upgraded user experience with a variety of conveniences and innovative utilities that improve functionality.
One of the most popular appliance choices for a smart kitchen is a smart refrigerator. But does the smart technology on offer justify the price?
Let’s take a look at the benefits. A smart fridge can do the following:
- Notify owners when someone leaves the fridge door open or when the temperature is too high or too low, which saves your food from spoiling.
- Allows you to control the fridge’s temperature from your phone, saving you from high energy consumption.
- Some smart refrigerators offer food tracking features that recognize what’s inside and recommend dishes to owners to help prevent food items from expiring.
- Some smart refrigerators feature HD cameras that allow users to see what’s inside the fridge without opening the door to save more energy (an amazing option for when you’re food shopping and forget what you have at home).
Takeaway: A smart refrigerator offers major benefits for those who want to maximize the value of their groceries by reducing the number of groceries that expire through better monitoring of available foods and their condition.
The next popular smart kitchen appliance to consider is the smart oven.
For busy families who need to plan ahead to cook meals at home, this appliance is a godsend. Here are the benefits you can expect:
- Lets you to preheat the oven on your way home via smart phone.
- Notify you when your food is ready and can also switch to warming mode when you’re not yet ready to eat your meal.
- Allow you to prepare meat without drying it by activating a moisture sensor and drying function.
- Alerts you when there’s a rising danger, such as a gas leak or when it has been turned on for a few hours.
- A screen that guides you on making your favorite meal.
- More high-end smart ovens can determine the calories of your meal, which is a perfect addition to your weight loss journey.
- Offers enhanced safety features to protect kids from burning themselves.
Takeaway: Two types of people will find the benefits of a smart oven most appealing. Those with busy schedules and big families who need to plan out meals well in advance. And those with culinary skills who want to get the most out of cooking with an oven.
Smart dishwashers might be the most universally appealing appliances for a smart kitchen. This is because the features on offer will appeal to most people who want to upgrade their kitchen.
Here are the benefits of a smart dishwasher:
- Notifies owners when dishes are clean and dry.
- These devices alert owners when there’s a possible leak. Often, these smart devices have features that allow them to turn off when a leak is detected automatically.
- It turns off automatically when it can’t reach the right temperature, saving you from high utility bills.
- Higher-end smart dishwashers have pod tracking features that can self-order when stocks are low.
- Features safety locks to prevent kids from opening the door.
- You can control these smart appliances remotely from the start and end of the cleaning.
- No need for maintenance checks as these smart devices feature a useful notification system when the air filters are dirty.
Takeaway: Smart dishwashers offer features and conveniences that most homeowners will find appealing. Furthermore, smart dishwashers are becoming an industry standard and so they are surprisingly affordable.
Smart Stove Tops (Smart Ranges)
Smart ranges or smart stove tops are designed to provide superior control and safety.
Here are the major benefits you can expect:
- The main feature of this smart appliance is to notify its owner when the ranges are left on and if there’s a gas leak to avoid fire.
- Allow users to control temperature settings.
- Features safety lock control to prevent kids from turning on the ranges and burning themselves.
Because operating a stove top remotely would lead to all sorts of safety concerns and potential fire hazards, the primary function of smart technology here is to increase control and safety measures.
Takeaway: Because of this, smart stove tops will probably only appeal to those with small children, safety concerns, or those who want to optimize the temperature control of their stoves.
Similar to smart stove tops, a microwave requires a user to be present. To use a microwave, you need to open it up and place the desired item inside.
So advances in smart technology really haven’t been able to optimize this functionality much due to these constraints.
However, there are still some interesting benefits to consider:
- Allow users to place food in the morning and schedule to reheat at a specific time.
- Automatically cook specific foods following the barcode’s scan.
Takeaway: Smart microwaves don’t offer groundbreaking functionalities like some other smart appliances, but they do provide some new and innovative functions for those who like to enjoy the newest technologies.
Smart Coffee Maker
For all the coffee enthusiasts out there, a smart coffee maker might be the smart appliance with the most appeal.
The inclusion of smart tech has improved a variety of coffee making functionalities. Here are the most noticeable benefits on offer:
- Allow owners to schedule a coffee-making time in the morning at a set temperature.
- Some smart coffee makers are capable of making up to ten different beverages, which will come in handy during events.
- Higher-end smart coffee makers feature a built-in brew counter, which allows users to order sufficient coffee supplies.
- More recent smart coffee makers feature connected apps or playlists that allow you and your guests to input your desired coffee and play music.
- Most of these smart devices no longer need manual checking since these have features that notify owners when filters need replacement.
Takeaway: Java lovers who constantly brew different types of coffee will probably find the smart coffee maker’s benefits most valuable.
A smart TV is a great addition to your smart kitchen.
You can watch your favorite cooking programs or shows as you start cooking without holding a remote and making a mess.
Most smart TVs are voice-automated now, which lends itself well to preparing food and cooking while you watch something.
Another great addition to a smart kitchen is smart lights.
If you always get home near dark, you can schedule lights to turn on as soon as the smart microwave reheats your food or when your oven starts to preheat.
The benefits of smart lights will also come in handy during your travels to make it look like someone’s home during evening hours.
Who Might Benefit the Most from a Smart Kitchen?
Almost everyone will benefit from smart kitchen technology or any smart home technology for that matter.
However, there are certain groups of people who will significantly benefit from it; those are:
- Families with little kids
- Busy people
- Beginners at cooking
- People who are attempting to reduce long-term water and electricity costs
- Home owners looking to increase the value of their home
- Individuals with disabilities who need assistance in the kitchen
Conclusion: Smart kitchens offer tremendous value and alluring conveniences. But if you’re on a budget your best bet is to find the smart kitchen appliance with features that you value most. After all, smart technology offers little benefit if you don’t end up using the technology!