As advances in smart home technology continue to improve our favorite belongings, more and more homeowners are looking to upgrade their bedroom. One of the most alluring smart technology upgrades for your bedroom is a self-cooling mattress.
The benefits of a mattress cooler might surprise you. Beyond allowing you unprecedented sleeping temperature control, a cooling mattress can actually improve sleep quality.
Many people will be surprised to learn that sleeping cool is ideal, as opposed to sleeping in a warm room. In fact, medical experts suggest that the ideal temperature for sleeping is somewhere in the range between 60 and 65 degrees Fahrenheit.
But while this is the ideal air temperature for your bedroom, your body temperature control also plays a role. Some people will need extra help cooling down before sleep, particularly if they are hot sleepers.
Key Point: Sleeping cool is an important factor of both sleep quality and overall health.
How Cooling Mattresses Work
Thick fabrics in mattresses trap heat and are responsible for hot sleepers experiencing things like night sweats and interrupted sleep cycles. Mattress coolers aim to fix this problem.
Mattress Coolers come in several different forms. Here’s a breakdown of the most popular types:
- Cooling Mattress: Cooling mattresses contain memory foam, gel infused foam, and/or natural latex. These materials disperse heat and circulate air, so that you sleep cooler throughout the night.
- Cooling Mattress Pad: Also known as a mattress topper, these cooling mattress pads are made with similar materials as cooling mattresses. The difference being that mattress toppers can be added on top of an existing mattress. Toppers are also cheaper than cooling mattresses.
- Electronic Mattress Cooler: The most innovative smart mattress technology is the electronic mattress cooler. Either by refrigerated water circulated through gel infused foam, or by cool air vents, these electric cooling systems provide maximum cooling and an amazing array of features and settings.
For the best cooling potential, definitely consider an electric mattress cooler. Its cooling features will help you find and keep your ideal sleeping temperature throughout the night. Some models even allow you to pump heat to one side of the bed, while cooling the other side of the mattress.
This makes it an ideal option for couples who might have differing opinions on ideal sleeping temperatures.
Key Point: There’s solid science behind the cooling mattress. Its technology improves comfort, helps to regulate body heat, and provides the best cooling you can get in your bedroom without an overreliance on air conditioning.
How a Cooler Sleep Environment Improves Sleep
The human body is an amazing but complicated system. And the process of sleep is similarly complex. Because of this, there are a number of surprising factors that impact our sleep and body temperature is a major one.
- The body’s natural circadian rhythms encourage a decrease in body temperature of about 2 degrees during sleep.
- Sleeping cool helps your body maintain this cooler temperature and to remain in a restful sleep state.
- Cooler sleep can help you reach longer REM sleep for longer periods of time.
- Sleeping on a cooling mattress can boost melatonin production and induce sleep more quickly.
- If you sleep hot or have excessive body heat retention, a cooling mattress massively boosts comfort levels and sleep quality.
A cooler sleep environment also cuts down on the need to blast your air conditioning, which in turn can cut down your monthly bill.
Key point: Cooling mattresses provide a number of features which directly improve sleep quality, sleep cycle, and duration.
The 7 Health Benefits of Sleeping Cool
By increasing sleep quality cooling mattresses provide a number of other health benefits. Most notable of which are the following:
- Increased levels of melatonin production: Melatonin is the hormone associated with better sleep control, but it also provides powerful anti-aging effects.
- Increased serotonin (better mood): Optimal levels of melatonin has also been linked to high levels of serotonin, a neurotransmitter that helps to regulate mood and keep us feeling happy.
- Improved levels of cortisol: Known as the stress hormone, cortisol levels have been shown to be reduced in those who get good sleep.
- Increased metabolic health: Cooler sleep helps you body store beige fat, which helps you burn calories as opposed to storing them.
- May help to prevent Type 2 Diabetes: Sleeping cool helps increase levels of beige and brown fat in the body, which simultaneously helps to burn calories and raise insulin sensitivity which lowers the risk of Type 2 Diabetes.
- Helps to reduce symptoms of insomnia: High levels of heat retention can increase symptoms of insomnia. A cooling mattress can help to counteract this and induce the process of falling asleep.
- Prevents cognitive decline: Consistently getting enough deep sleep has been linked to optimal levels of the human growth hormone (HGH) which is responsible for cellular repair and preventing cognitive decline.
Getting good sleep and sleeping cool provides some impressive benefits. If you’re concerned about your sleep quality or if you’re one of the many hot sleepers in the world, consider investing in one of the best cooling mattresses.
Key Takeaway: Cooling mattresses ensure that you get cooler sleep, which is associated with 7 incredible health benefits.
Which Cooling Mattress Provides the Most Benefits?
Which type of cooling mattress will provide the most benefits will depend on your unique situation and the problems that you experience.
For example, if you find that your bedroom is typically cool enough (60-65 degrees) but you get get hot under the covers, then you might only need cooling sheets, a cooling pillow, or a memory foam cooling mattress with better breathability.
If you find your body temperature regulation does not improve with these changes, then you might need something more serious cooling properties.
An electric mattress cooling system will provide the best cooling by far. Additionally, these cooling systems often come with some great settings and features such as fluctuating temperature control based on biometric feedback.
Conclusion: To get the best sleep and enjoy all the resulting benefits, consider upgrading from traditional mattresses to smart cooling mattresses (or a smart cooling mattress topper).